Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Kid's Art Hankerchief Wall Quilt

This was such a fun project to do with my grandson, Noah.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did making it.  You could also just use one hankerchief and make a pillow.  I Love To Create provided the fabric markers and I bought the hankerchiefs from Walmart.  I used fabric from my stash.
 
Materials:
Tulip Fabric Markers
6 hankerchiefs
2 1/2 yds. white fabric
2 yards fabric for sashing
1 5/8 yards for the border
Sewing machine, needles, thread, and ruler
Foamboard and masking tape - optional
1. Prewash the hankerchiefs and fabric before you begin.
2. The hankerchiefs are very thin so to prevent bleeding onto your surface I used a piece of foam board, cut slightly larger than the hankerchief.  Then use the masking tape to tape the hankerchief to the foamboard.
3. Next the fun part, coloring the hankerchiefs.  Noah worked really hard and did a great job.  Try to color at least 1/2 inch from the borders.
 4.  After all six hankerchiefs are colored, use the white fabric to cut out six squares the size of the hankerchiefs.  This will reinforce the hankerchiefs because of how thin they are.
5. Pin wrong sides together and baste a 1/4" seam around the entire hankerchief.
6.  Remove pins and repeat for all six hankerchiefs.
 7. Lay out the hankerchiefs to determine how you want them to look.
 8.  I used a 2" sashing and a 1" border.  You can do whatever you wish.  I used cotton batting and my walking foot on my sewing machine to quilt.  I sewed around each hankerchief and around the entire border to quilt.

9.  I also used this method to make tabs at the top of the quilt to make it easy to hang.

And Noah for all his incredible hard work was able to pick out a Legos set of his choice within reason.
                                This is what he chose and we had a great time putting it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...