Saturday, December 15, 2012

Snowman Polymer Clay Ornament Project!

Last Friday, the day of the horrific killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School I went to Noah, our grandson's 1st grade class to teach them how to make this polymer clay ornament.  I thank God that I had errands to run before the class and that I did not know what had occurred until I returned home later that day.  I don't know how I would have gotten through the class without tears and sobs.  The children killed were the same age as my grandson and his classmates. 

 Snowman Face Ornament
by Becky Meverden copyright 2012
 
Materials:
Polymer clay: white, orange and black
Toothpick
Plastic straw
Blush and cotton swab
Red ribbon
 
When working with children and especially white polymer clay, make sure their hands are clean.  The white clay picks up everything and will get quite dirty.  Luckily, I brought papertowels and waterless handcleaner.
 
Instructions:
1.  Flatten a 1" white ball of clay into a circle.
2.  For eyes, roll two 1/8" black balls and press onto face.
3.  For squint lines, use toothpick to indent two lines next to each eye.
4.  For nose, roll a 3/8" orange ball into a oval.  Press onto face just under the eyes.
5.  Use toothpick to indent the mouth.  I start in the center of the nose and go out each side from there to insure that the mouth is even on both sides.
6.  Blush cheeks.
7.  Use straw to make hole for hanging.
8.  Bake in a 265 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes. Let cool.
9.  String with ribbon.
 

Here are Noah's classmates creations.  They all wanted to do the blush themselves and as you can see, a few really went crazy with it.  When I asked why they put it all over the face, they told me that it was because the snowman had been to the tanning salon and had a sunburn.  I had to giggle over that one.
Even Noah's teacher made one and the kids really enjoyed themselves.  I love how unique and different each one is.
I can't tell you how many hugs I got that day from the kids.  A couple of girls even told me that they wished I was their grandmother.
This is Noah's.  He was over the moon to have me there.  As soon as I walked in, he ran over with a huge smile on his face and gave me a huge hug.  I treasure these days because I know how fast time goes.  It doesn't seem so long ago that I was coming in to teach a clay class with his mother and his uncle.  I was also fortunate to have my sister live close so I continued the tradition with her children too. 

3 comments:

  1. Those are really cute - do you bake them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out. I added that to the instructions. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are really sweet, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...